One of IBEC’s main aims is to attract, prepare and maintain a talented workforce that undertakes scientific research – at the highest international level in creative ways and through interdisciplinary approaches – that helps to improve health and quality of life and to generate wealth.
In order to increase and recognize the excellence of the training programme developed for IBEC’s PhD fellows, we issue a Doctoral Certificate, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness through the Centro de Excelencia Severo Ochoa Award, to those fellows that meet the quality requirements of the institute.
- Three months on an international research placement. The visit may be to a university, a hospital, a company or a research centre. Visits of at least 2 weeks can be accumulated in order to reach the 3-month period.
For stays within Spain, IBEC direction will assess whether they can be considered for the award.
- One indexed peer reviewed international publication in the first quartile as first author (with IBEC affiliation), or alternatively, one contribution to a patent as inventor.
- Two oral participations at an international meeting as presenting author. One of the oral participation can be a flash presentation at IBEC Symposium.
- Attendance in the following courses organized by IBEC (or proof of attendance to similar courses) on:
– One course on writing skills (or alternatively 4 peer reviewed international publications, as first author)
– Presentation skills (or alternatively 3 oral participations at an international meeting as presenting author)
– Good practices in a multi-disciplinary laboratory
– One course on technology Transfer and/or IP rights
- Two additional optional courses
- Participation in outreach activities (fairs, outreach blog, work with high school students, giving talks, etc) (minimum 10 hours)
- Attendance at IBEC Seminars: A minimum of 20 IBEC seminars must be attended. When the PhD fellow is seconded to another institution for more than 3 months, the minimum number will be reduced proportionally to the time that the fellow is physically at IBEC.
- Attendance at IBEC PhD Discussions: A minimum of 20 IBEC PhD Discussions must be attended. When the PhD fellow is seconded to another institution for more than 3 months, the minimum number will be reduced proportionally to the time that the fellow is physically at IBEC.
If the candidate has been chairman of the PhD discussions or member of IBEC PhD Committee, the minimum number will be reduced to 15. If both circumstances apply, the minimum number will be reduced to 12.
- Lecture in a PhD Discussion in the 3rd or 4th year.
- The PhD thesis must be concluded within 4 years of admission to the doctoral programme. If the PhD thesis is defended in less than 4 years after admission to the doctoral programme, the required number of attendance to IBEC seminars and PhD discussions will be proportionally reduced.
In exceptional circumstances, these requirements could be replaced by outstanding scientific achievements (paper in Nature/Science as first author, patent licensed, spin off created, etc) upon the decision of IBEC’s directorate.
All PhD fellows meeting the requirements will receive a certificate in an awards ceremony at the IBEC Symposium and a prize of 150€ to cover expenses related to the defense of their PhD thesis.
Additionally, the best 3 PhD fellows will receive a prize of 500€ in an award ceremony at the IBEC Symposium upon the following criteria (in decreasing order of importance: first we will look at criterium 1., and if there is a tie we will look at criterium 2, etc.)
- Number of publications as first author in first decile journals
- Number of publications as first author in first quartile journals
- Number of publications in first decile journals
- Number of publications in first quartile journals
Once the PhD fellow has defended his/her PhD thesis, he/she should submit the application form to email@example.com together with the following documents in PDF format:
- Certificate of the PhD thesis defense
- Certificate showing the date of admission in the doctoral programme
- Certificates of oral participation at international meetings as presenting authors (programme, diploma, etc)
- Certificates of attendance at the training courses
- Certificates of participation in outreach activities
- Certificates of mobility stays
In order to take into account publications that might be under review or in preparation at the time of the PhD thesis defense, the application form may be submitted up to one year after the defense. Notwithstanding, the other merits (courses, seminars, training, etc) are related to the PhD period.
If the candidate meets all the requirements, they will automatically receive the prize of 150€. The certificate will be issued at the following IBEC Symposium. If the candidate is not able to attend the symposium, he/she will receive the certificate by mail.
The Doctoral Award for the best three candidates will be given to the best candidatures submitted between one IBEC Symposium and the following one (deadline one month before the symposium).
Download the application form here
Those PhD students already at IBEC will also be able to apply for the certificate. In these cases, the minimum number of attendance to IBEC seminars and PhD Discussions, as well as the participation in outreach activities, will be proportionally reduced to the time from March 2017 to the date of defense of the thesis. The course on Good Practice at the Laboratory will not be mandatory. The rest of the requirements remain the same.
We are working in the establishment of a procedure to control attendance to IBEC seminars and PhD discussions. Hence, the minimum number of attendance to IBEC seminars and PhD discussions will be proportionally reduced according to the time when we start controlling attendance (about April 2017).
Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness through the Centro de Excelencia Severo Ochoa Award