About the IBEC Mentoring Programme
Welcome to the first edition of the IBEC Mentoring Programme.
The programme is conceived as a career development tool for postdoctoral researchers at IBEC.
Each postdoctoral researcher (mentee) participating in the programme will be chose a Mentor. Mentors will support postdoctoral researchers and will share their experiences as highly qualified scientists, as well as giving guidance and knowledge not only about IBEC but also about their particular scientific fields. The range of benefits for the mentees will range from sharing the mentors experiences and benefitting from his/her knowledge, to counselling to develop their qualification profile, establishing contacts, gaining access to the networks of mentors, or receiving feedback to facilitate self-assessment and to fully develop their career.
We are very excited to be putting into action something that up until now been an item for action within the framework of the Human Resource Strategy for Researchers according to the European Charter and Code. This Mentoring programme is an excellent opportunity to increase learning in new ways for all who participate; stronger relationships will be forged between senior Scientists and Postdoctoral researchers and of course it will increase IBEC’s visibility as a place for Excellent Career development in the world of scientific research.
The programme is funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness under the Severo Ochoa grant SEV-2014-0425 (2015-2019).
- Effectively supports the continuous learning of others
- Nurtures talent at IBEC
- To enable researchers to realize their potential and aspire to excellence
- To put into practice the commitment made within the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (implementing the Charter & Code), as well as that which has been planned in the BEST Programme for postdoctoral researchers and in our Strategic Plan 2014-2017
- Foster networking and collaborations within IBEC
Benefits for Mentors
- New learning, insights as supervisors and as team leaders (e.g. Provide feedback to others, understand other’s motivation)
- Personal growth and satisfaction in identifying potential in others and in helping nurture the next generation of scientists
Benefits for Mentees
- Develop new skills and capacities
- Improve performance
- Personal growth
- Maximize their own potential through the identification and assumption of own strengths and weaknesses
- Receive guidance and encouragement necessary for professional development
- Progress to more senior roles within or outside IBEC, promoting their autonomy
- Help to see opportunities and take up new challenges
- Set challenges whilst building and developing confidence; management of over-confidence
- Empowers young men and women researchers
- Take responsibility and control for their own career management
March 2017. Mentors Application. Deadline: 16th – 31st March.
April 2017. Mentees application. Deadline: 15th April – 05th May.
May 2017. Mentor Training / Mentee Briefing / Pairing to form Mentor-Mentee relationship.
June 2017. Launch f the programme / Initial meeting held.
July 2017 – April 2018. 6 Mentor-Mentee meeting to be held / Meeting records to be kept by Mentor and Mentee, for personal use only.
December 2017. Meeting with Mentors to follow up and mutual learning.
January 2018. Informal follow up with Mentees.
May 2018. Final meetings to be held / Programme evaluation (online questionnaire).
You can find the guidelines and applications forms for mentors and mentees in the public folder: Public Information/ Human Resources/ Mentoring
If you have any further questions please contact email@example.com