With the aim to recruit research staff for the implementation of one of the sixteen “Collaborative Projects” selected in Catalonia within the framework of the Complementary Plan for Biotechnology in Catalonia, this selection process is opened. This Complementary Plan is co-funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation and the Generalitat de Catalunya under the C17.I1 of the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan (PRTR)
1.Introduction to vacant position:
Sarrià Chemical Institute (IQS) and the Sant Joan de Déu Hospital (HSJD) are looking for a Research Assistant to work on a project studying how the different biomechanical parameters present in the upper jaw play an active role during the osseointegration of bone implants used in maxillofacial surgery for cleft lip and palate cases. The objectives of the project consist of establishing a correlation between the biomechanical parameters of the maxillofacial scenario and the osseointegration of the implant, as well as optimizing the geometry of the implant in order to promote osseointegration
The contract will be within the framework of the “Development of advanced biomechanical models for planification and improvement of surgical practice applied to cleft lip and palate maxillofacial surgery” (BIOMOD) project prioritized by the IBEC under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud” (biotechnology applied to health).
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2. The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the direction of Robert Texidó (IQS) and Arnau Valls (HSJD), the main tasks to be performed within the project by the selected person will be:
- Participation in the development of biomechanical models through medical image processing, finite elements / post-processing tools, DICOM image segmentation and CAD reconstruction
- Work with a physical model for the evaluation of biomechanical models through mechanical testing (traction, compression, among others)
- Characterization of biological materials (elastic and viscoelastic properties of biological tissue samples
The selected person will be part of a team made up of members of IQS and HSJD. He/She will perform the activity at both locations.
3. Requirements for candidates
- Master in Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Technology Engineering or Industrial Engineering
- Experience calculating structures using finite elements (ANSYS or similar).
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level of English
- Experience in fields related to biomechanics or health sciences will be appreciated.
- Experience with post processing tools such as Hypermesh or Ansa will be assessed positively
- Experience with medical image processing (3D Slicer, Mimics, 3Matic, MeshLab) will be appreciated.
- Experience in conducting mechanical tests and materials characterization tests will be appreciated.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: Between 1st of May and the 16th of May 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time 18-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctoral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding a project or the Complementary Plan, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu