With the aim to recruit research staff for the implementation of one of the sixteen “Collaborative Projects” selected in Catalonia within the framework of the Complementary Plan for Biotechnology in Catalonia, this selection process is opened. This Complementary Plan is co-funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation and the Generalitat de Catalunya under the C17.I1 of the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan (PRTR).
1. Introduction to vacant position:
CRG Vernos Group is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join a project aiming at determining the expression levels of a novel candidate tumor suppressor in breast cancer patient samples by single cell sequencing performed at the CRG facility to evaluate the heterogeneities in different types of breast tumors as well as within single tumor samples. The aim will be to establish the specific pattern of expression of this gene in relation to clinical data and to validate the data for prognostics and the therapeutics. In parallel, he/she will be involved in the development of a high throughput screening for the identification of inhibitory compounds against the candidate tumor suppressor enzyme in collaboration with Prof. Mabel Loza who leads the High-Capacity Screening Platform Innopharma in Galicia.
The contract will be within the framework of the “Targeting a mitotic polyglutamylation enzyme – a novel strategy for cancer therapy” (MITOCANCER) project prioritized by the IBEC under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud” (biotechnology applied to health).
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1).
2. The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under Prof Isabelle Vernos at the CRG, the selected candidate will carry out the following research activities:
- Coordination of the collection of tumor samples from patients at the hospital and processing for single cell sequencing at the CRG.
- Participation in the analysis of the sequencing data after their initial analysis at the CRG with the group of Prof Carrecedo in Galicia.
- Perform experiments in breast cancer cell lines to investigate the role of the enzyme in cancer progression
- In addition, the candidate will perform experiments to test the activity of the purified enzyme in vitro and help with the setting up of the high throughput screening protocol for the identification of inhibitory compounds. Further test and validation of potential hits may also be required.
The candidate will work mainly at the CRG in the Vernos group. The candidate will visit the department of Anatomía Patológica of the Hospital de la Vall d’Hebron headed by Dr. Santiago Ramon y Cajal for discussions on the project and to collect and process primary tumor tissue for single cell sequencing at the CRG.
3. Requirements for candidates
- PhD in Cell and/or Cancer biology
- Previous solid experience in cell and molecular biology methods.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level of English
- Previous experience with handling primary tumor tissue will be very positively evaluated
- Experience in bridging fundamental research with clinical research.
- A solid knowledge in bioinformatics would be desirable.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: Between 1st of April and the 16th of June 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time 18-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctoral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until February 20th an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding a project or the Complementary Plan, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity: Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu.