Introduction to the vacant position:
Dementia, including Alzheimer’s, Lewy body Parkinson’s, and others, is a growing health concern worldwide. These conditions are often associated with the formation, aggregation and accumulation of neurotoxic misfolded oligomers such as amyloid-β, tau proteins, and α-synucleins. Understanding these harmful oligomers is essential to uncovering the molecular basis of these conditions. To investigate the protein aggregation dynamics and liquid-liquid phase separations, this project will use advanced TEM imaging in the Liquid Phase. The research focuses on proteins associated with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, using a combination of computer simulations and liquid TEM imaging. Additionally, the project explores the impact of drugs and aggregation inhibitors on protein structure in liquid environments.
This interdisciplinary approach unites various fields, including imaging science, physics, molecular engineering, and computational science and holds great promise for helping to create innovative treatments for neurodegenerative diseases that lead to dementia. We welcome individuals willing to combine experimental imaging with computational efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Molecular Bionics group, a dynamic multidisciplinary team comprising chemists, physicists, mathematicians, engineers, and biologists. To learn more about our work, please visit our external website at https://www.molecularbionics.org.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the successful candidate will be:
- Protein structure characterisation by standard analytical methods
- Protein imaging by solid state and Liquid Phase TEM.
- Design and implementation of novel imaging protocols for proteins in Liquid Phase TEM
- Design and implementation of image analysis methods.
- Molecular modelling simulations
- Coding experience, particularly in handling deep learning and other machine learning techniques.
- Handling of soft materials, proteins and polymers.
- To contribute to the drafting and submitting of papers to peer reviewed journals.
Requirements for candidates:
- PhD in Physics, Soft Matter, Chemistry, Materials Science, Bio-Physics, or Bioengineering, any field directly related to the tasks described above.
- Advanced proven knowledge in Transmission Electron Microscopy.
- Advanced knowledge in Liquid Phase Transmission Electron Microscopy
- knowledge in image analysis
- Experience in handling and characterising soft nanomaterials.
- Experience in supervising students
- Good skills in communication, teamwork, proactivity, commitment, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision and focus.
- Willingness to work in a highly multidisciplinary environment.
- High level of English (both oral and written).
- Prior computational skills for image analysis
- Previous experience in Python coding
- Previous experience handling proteins
- Experience in cryogenic electron microscopy
- Experience in microfluidics
- Previous experience in data analysis and science.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Full time open-ended contract linked to the duration of the project for a period of 2 years and 9 months.
- Starting date: December 2023
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection. Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu