You’ll join a community of outstanding researchers and skilled professionals devoted to conduct excellent interdisciplinary research at the frontiers of engineering and life sciences in order to generate new knowledge by putting together fields like nanomedicine, biophysics, biotechnology, tissue engineering and the applications of health information technology.
Our aim is to provide you with a positive candidate experience. We offer a wide range of challenging scientific and non-scientific positions.
Click here for a list of all previously advertised positions that are now filled.
WHAT WE OFFER
IBEC offers attractive conditions and benefits to attract and retain the brightest talent, promoting wellbeing and an adequate work-life balance.
- International Environment: The institute currently has 22 research groups, 380 researchers and staff from more than 40 different countries. IBEC’s headquarters and most of its labs are located in the Parc Científic de Barcelona. A few of IBEC’s labs are located at other sites (UPC Diagonal Besòs and UB Faculty of Medicine), all of which provide the clinical, equipment or collaborative requirements specific to those groups.
- Multidisciplinary Research: The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) conducts excellent interdisciplinary research at the frontiers of engineering and life sciences in order to generate new knowledge by putting together fields like nanomedicine, biophysics, biotechnology, tissue engineering and the applications of health information technology.
- Continuous Training: IBEC’s mission is achieved by carrying out different objectives, one of which is to train the next generation of experts in healthcare technologies.
The Training Catalogue contains scientific tools and techniques and transversal skills and competencies that can help our IBEC community members to be better prepared for today’s rapidly changing environments, thus ensuring that are given the opportunities for professional development and for improving their employability. The training activities offered are included in the following categories: a) Transferable skills, b) Scientific tools and techniques, c) Risk prevention and d) Languages. Examples include research seminars and conferences, training in time management, research integrity, oral and writing skills, diversity and gender equality, health and safety, and wellbeing tools).
- Language Courses: English is the working language at IBEC. However, good Spanish or Catalan skills facilitate the start of your new life in Barcelona and may find that learning Spanish or Catalan will help you to integrate more easily.
- Relocation & Visa Assistance: Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona is provided.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC Wellbeing Programme: within the framework of IBEC Equal opportunities and diversity management plan, as well as the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers, different actions and benefits are implemented to improve our work-life balance and wellbeing from a social, individual, emotional and professional perspective.
IBEC Community members can enjoy yoga & pilates classes, mindfulness, PCB room for breastfeeding, special offers in kindergarten near IBEC, discounts with Universities UB and UPC which offers discounts for theatres, travel, insurances, sport centers, etc.
- HR Excellence: IBEC is awarded the HR Excellence in Research from the European Commission. This award reflects our commitment to continuously improving our human resources policies in line with the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
Researcher career path at a glance: Spain (click image to download)
A visual guide to the different career stages for researchers in Spain and the public and private grants that can be applied for at each stage to work in the public sector or industry. The document includes links to the programme calls where further information can be found. (Published by MINECO’s Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT).)
PRINCIPLES OF THE SELECTION PROCESS
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles. For more information, we encourage you to take a look at our Recruitment and Selection policy, based on OTM-R principles.
This is our commitment on equal opportunity:
“Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
HOW TO APPLY
All applications are made electronically in our recruitment online platform. After you have registered and logged in, you fill in the web form your personal and professional information. You can submit or update your application until midnight on the last application day. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email confirming that we have received it.
Selection and interview
When the application period has expired, we make a selection based on the requirements profile for the position. Selection committees are established for all recruitment process and aligned with our Equal Opportunities and Diversity Management Plan are sufficiently gender-balanced. The selection committees evaluate and consider past performance and future potential. Based on who best matches the requirements for education and experience specified in advertisement, the Selection panel will propose shortlisted candidates, who will be invited for an interview.
If you are invited to an interview
During the interview, you usually meet an evaluation panel composed of the recruiting manager and one or two other employees. At IBEC, we work with competence-based recruitment. This means that apart from the questions based on the characteristics and abilities that are requested in the advertisement, you will be asked to describe previous situations and give examples based on them. You can prepare yourself by thinking through situations in your previous work, where you have used the qualities or abilities required in the ad.
Referees contact details will be requested, but only for shortlisted or final candidates may be contacted.
A guide for interviewees is in place, to support and guide interviewees in preparing for their job interview that will be conducted using the competency-based interview approach.
At the end of the selection process all applicants receive an informative notice of their status in the selection process.
Shortlisted candidates for senior positions (Junior Group Leaders and Senior researchers) who have been interviewed by a selection panel will be informed about the strengths and weaknesses of their application.
All Institutional programmes (International PhD Programme, Senior Researcher call, Postdoctoral programme, Master programme, Junior Group Leader) have an appropriate complaints mechanism in place. The redress procedure will look at procedural shortcomings and into possible errors, not against evaluation panel decisions or experts ratings and comments.
For the rest of the recruitment process, candidates can contact us through a specific email: jobs@ibecbarcelona, concerning complaints and doubts about the recruitment process.
If you get a job at IBEC
When you are about to start working with us, you will receive a letter of commitment with the details of job offer. The HR unit will support you all aspects of your incorporation at our Institute.
Spontaneous applications, internships
How can you start collaborating with us?
For spontaneously applications, you can start choosing a maximum of 3 research groups and write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and send us your CV, a cover letter (preferably in English) and to make your application more attractive for our researchers, you can also attach your full record with your marks (or the record you have at the moment, as you are in the middle of the term and won’t have yet the whole year).
Or, if you are looking for an internship agreement (for your final degree project, final master project or just curricular or extracurricular practices) with your university and IBEC, you can also write to the same email address and do the same procedure: send us your spontaneous candidacy, telling us 3 research groups of your interest and attach your record with your marks