With the aim to recruit research staff for the implementation of one of the sixteen «Collaborative Projects» selected in Catalonia within the framework of the Complementary Plan for Biotechnology in Catalonia, this selection process is opened. This Complementary Plan is co-funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation and the Generalitat de Catalunya under the C17.I1 of the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan (PRTR).
1.Introduction to vacant position:
The Computational Genomics group led by Dr. David Torrents (Barcelona Supercomputing Center, BSC) is looking for a Research Assistant to be in charge of pushing a national project in collaboration with Institut d’Investigacions de Ciències per la Salut Germans Trias i Pujol (IGTP).
The contract will be within the framework of the “Development and implementation of integrated artificial intelligence models to predict the risk of Type 2 Diabetes” (IA4DT2) project prioritized by the IBEC under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud” (biotechnology applied to health).
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2. The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the supervision of Dr. David Torrents (ICREA Professor), the applicant will carry out the following research activities:
- In charge of getting access and preparing the clinical and molecular data required for the different analyses planned within the project.
- Creation and implementation of the necessary machine learning models for 1) discovering the variables affecting disease development and 2) predicting the risk.
- The candidate must be capable of applying the models in different populations and of generating protocols to evaluate and ensure the reliability of the outcomes.
- Elaboration of periodical reports to facilitate the follow up by the different collaborators.
- Promotion of the dissemination of the findings obtained within the project with the research community.
The selected candidate will perform the work at the department of Computational Genomics of BSC.
3. Requirements for candidates
- Master in Biomedicine, Biotechnology, Biostatistics or related discipline.
- Proven experience in the creation of artificial intelligence and machine learning models, and the use of statistical models.
- Experience in managing, organising, preparing, and analysing genetic data in large cohorts.
- Good programming skills in different languages including Python and R, and to be familiarised with HPC environments.
- Experience in the genomic analysis of complex diseases and to know the main factors predisposing to disease development (crucial).
- Candidates with previous knowledge of Type 2 Diabetes will be positively valued
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: Between 1st of April and the 16th of June 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time 18-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctoral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding a project or the Complementary Plan, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu