With the aim to recruit research staff for the implementation of one of the sixteen «Collaborative Projects» selected in Catalonia within the framework of the Complementary Plan for Biotechnology in Catalonia, this selection process is opened. This Complementary Plan is co-funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation and the Generalitat de Catalunya under the C17.I1 of the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan (PRTR).
1. Introduction to vacant position:
IRB Complex Metabolic Diseases and Mitochondria research group is looking for a Researcher with sufficient experience in biomedical research in the area of mitochondrial function. The researcher will work primarily with cellular and murine models of disease, especially in preclinical studies. Experience in handling human cells in primary culture and immortalization techniques will be taken into account.
The contract will be within the framework of the “Generation of therapies and biomarkers for the treatment of mitochondrial dysfunctiondriven neurodegenerative diseases” (DRUG4-COXPD1) project prioritized by the IBEC under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud” (biotechnology applied to health).
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1).
2. The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the direction of Dr Antonio Zorzano Olarte, the applicant will carry out the following research activities
- Fibroblasts in culture, and cellular immortalization.
- Phenotypic characterization of cells in culture and analysis of the response to mitochondrial stress.
- Other tasks related to the «screening» of molecules through the use of human cells.
- Execution of pharmacological therapy application experiments in animal models.
- Other research tasks derived from the results and evolution of their research.
- Contribution to shared general management tasks of the laboratory and the research group.
- Preparation of manuscripts and presentation of results in national and international scientific meetings.
The selected candidate will perform the work at the Laboratories of the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona) in Barcelona.
3. Requirements for candidates
- Master in a discipline in the area of biomedicine (biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedicine, chemistry, or similar).
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level of English
- Extensive experience in cell culture and immortalization.
- Accreditation and experience to be able to work with experimental animals.
- Knowledge and experience in evaluating mitochondrial function.
- Knowledge and experience in general methods of molecular biology (quantitative PCR, sequencing techniques, western blot, etc.).
- Experience in international teams.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: Between 1st of April and the 16th of June 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time 18-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctoral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until February 10th an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding a project or the Complementary Plan, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity: Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu