With the aim to recruit research staff for the implementation of one of the sixteen «Collaborative Projects» selected in Catalonia within the framework of the Complementary Plan for Biotechnology in Catalonia, this selection process is opened. This Complementary Plan is co-funded by the Ministry of Science and Innovation and the Generalitat de Catalunya under the C17.I1 of the Recovery, Transformation and Resilience Plan (PRTR).
1. Introduction to the vacant position:
IBEC Molecular Bionics, Nanobioengineering, and Molecular and Cellular Neurobiotechnology groups, in collaboration with the Autonomous University of Barcelona -Institute of Neuroscience, the San Pau Hospital Memory Unit, and the Achucarro Basque Centre for Neuroscience, are looking for a Research Scientist to work on the design of Alzheimer’s disease-modifying Nanomedicines.
We will synthesize block copolymers amphiphilic co-polyesters comprising anti-inflammatory metabolites for making nanomedicines to target the blood-brain barrier. We will develop a new approach to cellular targeting based on combining multivalent interactions with steric repulsion to create association profiles based on the cell receptor composition, i.e., its phenotype [Tian et al.Science Adv. 2020, 6, 4 , eaat0919 ; Liu et al. Nature Comm. 2020 11, 4836; and Acosta-Gutierrez et al. ACS Central Sci. 2022,8, 7, 891–904]. We will build on this and synthesize nanomedicines via bottom-up self-assembly, enabling us to precisely control the surface composition and final shape. We will synthesize block copolymers to assemble into spherical or cylindrical micelles by varying the copolymer molecular mass and the final micelle compositions.
The contract will be within the framework of the “Alzheimer’s disease-modifying Nanomedicines” (ADNano) project prioritized by the IBEC under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud” (biotechnology applied to health).
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2. The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the direction of Prof Giuseppe Battaglia, the applicant will carry out the following research activities:
- Synthesis of sequenced controlled polyesters
- Self-assembly and characterization of micelles
- Conjugations and characterization of LRPs ligands to micelles.
- Assessment of BBB crossing and anti-inflammatory activity.
The candidate will work at IBEC Molecular Bionics group facilities (Parc Científic de Barcelona).
3. Requirements for candidates
- PhD in Polymer Chemistry, Nanomedicine, Bioengineering, Materials Science, or related discipline
- Prior experience in step and controlled polymerizations
- Previous experience in micelles or vesicle characterization
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level of English
- Prior experience with block copolymer micelles for drug delivery and biomedical applications
- Experience with blood-brain barrier in vitro models
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: Between 1st of April and the 16th of June 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full-time 18-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, and nine leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and a high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equal access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC, or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of technical and transferable skills training, including mobility grants and a Mentoring program for researchers.
- An induction program to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support are provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding a project or the Complementary Plan, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent, and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment to equal opportunities:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion to support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual orientation, or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ confidential data are processed per the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the selection process.
Who are we?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities, and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in research, training, human resources, outreach, and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality, interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to a better quality of life, improves health, and creates wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals, and corporations are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB), and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and manages 3.800 square meters of facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu