Introduction to the vacant position:
The Smart Nano-Bio-Devices Group is looking for a PhD student to develop his/her PhD thesis project on the development of self-propelled nanomotors for biomedical applications. The contract will be within the framework of the ERC project of i-NanoSwarms which aims at studying the collective behaviour of active nanoparticles (swarming effect), their cooperative motion, and their application on drug delivery. In particular, the main objective of this PhD Thesis will be to explore a novel therapeutic strategy based on swarms of enzyme-powered nanomotors fabricated with biodegradable and biocompatible nanoparticles and loaded with nucleic acids for bladder cancer treatment.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Development of nucleic acid-loaded enzyme-powered nanomotors and their characterization.
- In vitro experiments with relevant cell models for the evaluation and characterization of effective cargo delivery.
- In vivo experiments with mouse and rat models. These will include intravesical, inter-articular and intravenous injection of nanoparticles.
- Within the first year to get accreditation of A (Animal care), B (Euthanasia), C (Experimental procedure) Functions according to RD 53/2013 within the first.
- Support to other projects related to the in vivo study of enzyme-powered nanomotors.
Requirements for candidates:
- MSc in chemistry, pharmacy, biotechnology, biomedical engineering, biomedicine, or nanotechnology.
- High motivation for translational and multidisciplinary research.
- Experience with nanoparticle synthesis, functionalization, and characterization (dynamic light scattering and zeta potential).
- Previous experience working with nucleic acids (loading and release studies, gel electrophoresis, qPCR).
- Previous experience with cell cultures (cell lines and primary cells).
- Basic knowledge of fluorescence microscopy and flow cytometry.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork, Proactivity, Commitment, Collegiality, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High level of English
- Basic knowledge of gene therapy and immunology.
- To be accredited with A (Animal care), B (Euthanasia), C (Experimental procedure) Functions according to RD 53/2013.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: September 1st
- Working conditions:
- Three-year predoctoral full-time contract.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (paternal leave, flexible schedule working hours, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu