1.Introduction to the vacant position:
Within the framework of DATOS-CAT project (“Implementation and database analysis in precision medicine”), an initiative under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud”, coordinated by the Institute for Bioengineering for Catalonia (IBEC), we are seeking a Research Assistant to join the Medical Informatics Department of Hospital Clínic de Barcelona.
The DataScience and Quality Group of Medical informatics is looking for a Research Assistant to start with a high-quality clinical data exploitation project, DATOS-CAT, that will consist of model building, testing, and deployment in a privileged environment rich in deep clinical knowledge.
The candidate will be part of the multidisciplinary team in charge of creating a set of models and software solutions for the secondary use of clinical data for research and the application of artificial intelligence. At the core of these solutions, there’s a medical database under construction that will contain all types of healthcare information generated in the Hospital Clinic.
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2.The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the direction of Dr. Xavier Pastor, the applicant will carry out the following research activities:
- Ensure the quality of the data extracted and proceed to their standardisation and annotation.
- Advise and develop initiatives for the application of artificial intelligence technologies that are considered relevant and that arise from HCB’s ecosystem of healthcare professionals and clinical researchers.
- Create and maintain open repositories of data and code released from HCB’s selected and anonymised DataMarts for collaborative research.
- Incorporation in different international projects co-led by MIT (Boston) and the Department of Medical Informatics (Barcelona) in the secondary use of clinical data. These projects range from diagnostics through predictive medical imaging models to the development of machine learning tools for database identification processes.
- Manage interaction with the accredited research community through collaboration tools. Create and maintain documentation related to the use of the solutions.
The candidate will work at the Medical Informatics Department of Hospital Clínic de Barcelona.
3.Requirements for candidates
- Master Degree in science, engineering, or a related discipline to ensure a high-level understanding of the research environment.
- Experience in relational database development and administration is advisable, ideally in a medical/clinical environment.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- Competence and experience in a substantial subset of the following are expected: Linux, Windows, SQL, Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and Python
- Must know about Machine Learning, Deep Learning (Transformers (BEHRT), Multitask learning, reinforcement learning) in PyTorch or TensorFlow.
- Competent in version control systems and collaborative programming.
- Knowledge of standard analytical database structures will be valued: OMOP, PCORNET, SENTINEL, I2B2.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking. Strong management skills.
- Fluency in English.
Experience in data science projects and participation in competitions such as Kaggle or datathons will be an asset.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: June 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full-time 20-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, 23 working days of paid holidays, and nine leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and a high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equal access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC, or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of technical and transferable skills training, including mobility grants and a Mentoring program for researchers.
- An induction program to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support are provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until May 31th, an online application form is available through IBEC’s dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent, and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment to equal opportunities:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion to support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual orientation, or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ confidential data are processed per the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the selection process.
Who are we?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities, and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in research, training, human resources, outreach, and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality, interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to a better quality of life, improves health, and creates wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals, and corporations are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB), and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and manages 3.800 square meters of facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu