Introduction to the vacant position:
The Molecular Bionics Group is looking for are research assistant for a project focused on optimising, characterization, and studying the role of Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related proteins (LRP) including LRP1 and LRP8 and their interaction with the cell glycocalyx on the role in modulating transport across the blood-brain barrier.
We are a multidisciplinary group whose general objective is to design and characterise bionic units that mimic speciﬁc biological functions and introduce operations that do not exist in Nature. We apply a constructionist approach where we mimic biological complexity in the form of design principles to produce functional units from simple building blocks and their interactions. We called this Molecular Bionics. Such an effort is multidisciplinary and involves inputs from Chemistry, Physics, and Cell and Molecular Biology.
Please, visit our external website for more information: https://www.molecularbionics.org.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the successful candidate will be:
- Protein expression and structural analysis using liquid-phase TEM.
- Cell culture of rodent and human cell lines, and “in vitro” blood-brain barrier modelling.
- Advanced imaging techniques to track macromolecular transport.
- Molecular biology and cell characterization techniques (RT-PCR, western blot, Immunofluorescence, and flow cytometry among others).
- Correlation between live-cell kinetics, cellular trafficking, and physical models.
Requirements for candidates:
- Grade & MS in Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedicine, Bio-Physics, or Bioengineering, any field directly related to the tasks described above.
- Good skills on communication, teamwork, proactivity, commitment, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision and focus.
- High level of English (oral and written).
- Previous Experience on protein expression and purification.
- Previous experience in structural characterisation using electron microscopy.
- Previous experience in cell culture.
- Previous experience on data analysis and science.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 01st of September 2022
- The position is aimed on candidates that are on doing the PhD at IBEC in the near future
- Working conditions:
- Full time temporary contract for 6 months. Competitive salary/ Salary will be commensurate with academic level and experience.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: email@example.com before 15/08/2022 (Reference: RA_GB).
Principles of the Selection Process:
Our Recruitment and Selection Policy is based on the OTM Strategy (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment) www.ibecbarcelona.eu/jobs/ and accept applications without distinction on any grounds. Candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Our commitment to OTM-R principles can also be found in our Gender and Diversity plan.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu