Introduction to the vacant position:
The IBEC is a prestigious dynamic and innovative-driven public institute with around 400 international staff and +17M Euros budget. We are currently seeking an enthusiastic experienced Managing Director to lead the research management area and ensure smooth operations of the institute. As the Managing Director you will oversee a team of 60 talented individuals across various Units, including Finance and Purchasing, HR and Risk Prevention, Projects Office, Tech Transfer and Business Development Office, Communications, IT, Core Facilities and Integrated Management System and Quality. This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic leader who is passionate about executing strategic plans, fostering collaboration, and ensuring smooth operations of the institute.
You are committed to create and nurture a professional and supportive environment for worldleading research. You coordinate the management area, promoting -on the one hand- distinctive corporate initiatives for the development and positioning of the institute, while -on the other hand- teaming up with the research community, carrying out an excellent research management, with flexibility, willingness, and creativity. You are a dynamic and assertive manager with a drive for digital transformation, adaptation to global challenges and long-term sustainability. You demonstrate strong leadership and management skills of complex projects and teams in an international environment and are able to communicate equally well with scientists, administrators, senior management and policy makers or other relevant stakeholders.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director, the main responsibilities of the Managing Director are:
- Provide support to the Director and contribute to the development of the overall policies and strategic planning, enabling the translation of scientific vision and strategic objectives into a clearly articulated operational strategy.
- Provide direct leadership and oversight for the management units of the institute: Finance and Purchasing, HR and Risk Prevention, Projects Office, Tech Transfer and Business Development Office, Communications, IT, Core Facilities and Integrated Management System and Quality (around 60 internal staff). By way of an example but not limitation:
- Direct financial, accounting, and budgetary management, including annual accounts reporting, as well as the proper execution of administrative tasks of the Foundation, document processing, and preparation of administrative reports.
- Administration and safeguarding IBEC´s assets (both financial and physical assets, including facilities and equipment).
- HR management: Drive the implementation of HR policies, oversee staff recruitment, talent retention and team building.
- Projects and Tech Transfer Offices: Overseeing research management offices for raising and managing competitive and industry funds conduct basic research, technology valorisation and intellectual property development.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement in Information systems and digital transformation and foster the implementation of improvements in management systems and processes (including quality management system, digitalisation).
- Interaction with research group leaders including negotiation for joining and leaving IBEC.
- Ensure compliance with transparency standards and regulatory legislative requirements.
- Promote philanthropic actions to raise funds for the foundation.
- Liaison with and report to the Board of Trustees in the areas of responsibility and accountability for the effective preparation, management, and follow-up of associated activities.
- Act as legal representative, responsible for signing official documents on behalf of IBEC, including contracts and agreements, labour contracts and public procurement, economic documents and representing IBEC when needed.
- Perform other duties entrusted or delegated by the Foundation’s bodies and the Director.
Requirements for candidates:
- Extensive management experience (minimum 5 years) in a public organization, preferably in an international research organization.
- Proven track record in leading and managing multi-functional teams in a multi-discipline and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in reporting to and formulating policies for submission to governing bodies, and in their implementation and tracking.
- University degree preferably in Business Administration, Law, science or engineering, or a related discipline.
- Master studies or doctoral degree is not essential but will be favourably valued.
- The institute official languages are Catalan and Spanish and the working language is English; fluent spoken and written English and good command of Spanish and Catalan are required.
- Cooperative and collaborative leadership style.
- Capacity of resolving complex administrative issues and including providing solutions for implementation.
- Capacity to translate the strategic plan into an operational plan that is measurable and achievable with the available resources.
- Capacity to focus on priorities and to set and revise objectives of the different groups.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage and collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders, including researchers, government and community representatives.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Proactive, flexible and problem-solving attitude.
- Highly resilient and stress tolerant.
- Assertive, supportive and tactful personality.
- Ability to inspire and engage the staff.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: November 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time open ended contract.
- Very competitive salary.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (parental leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of +17 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 20 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 400 people from 35 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu