Introduction to the vacant position:
The Bioinspired Interactive Materials and Protocellular Systems group is looking for a PhD student to develop his/her PhD thesis project on the development of antimicrobial interactive coatings for indwelling medical devices. The contract will be within the framework of multi-center project, AntiVAPBrush with the ambition to design nanocoatings that protect patients from ventilator-associated pneumonia by selectively killing bacteria while being stealth to airway epithelium.
The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Polymerization from surface as well as from biomolecules
- Characterization of nanocoatings via surface plasmon resonance, spectroscopy and optical / electron and force microscopies
- Synthesis of antimicrobial polymers
- Functionalization of nanocoatings with endolysins and antimicrobial polymers
- Antimicrobial test in collaboration with the group of Prof. Jordi Vila (ISGlobal)
- Cell model of airway epithelia and studies of the interaction of the coatings.
- Studies of friction of the coating
Requirements for candidates:
- Degree and Master on any field on Chemistry, Physical chemistry, Nanoscience, Biomedical engineering, Chemical engineering, Material Science or related field.
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Math’s, Physics/Engineering, etc.) and/or knowledge on polymer science (specifically on controlled polymerization will be a plus) as needed for this highly interdisciplinary project.
- Knowledge about biomaterials and biointerfaces.
- Willing to interact with microbiologist (Prof. J. Vila’s group) and clinicians (Dr. Laia Fernandez’s group)
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High level of English
- Polymer synthesis and molecular characterization
- Experience in protein production
- Experience in cell culture
- Experience in microscope
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 01/06/2023
- Working conditions:
- Temporary (3 years) Full time contract.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu