Application Deadline: 04/01/2022
The Smart nanodevices group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) led by Prof. Samuel Sanchez is looking for a a postdoctoral researcher to study he collective behaviour of self-propelled nanoparticles (nanobots) the design of hybrid nanomachines as drug delivery systems. The contract will be within the framework of the ERC Consolidator Grant “i-nanoSwarms”, whose objective is the development, understanding and control of intelligent nanosystems based on active particles for future biomedical applications.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Synthesis of self-propelled nanoparticles (mesoporous silica, liposomes and other types) based on chemical methods but also cell-based nanosystems.
- Particle functionalization to develop multifunctional systems for motion and targeting.
- Physicochemical understanding of particle-particle communication (bot-bot), signal propagation and collective motion.
- Applications of tracking algorithms to swarms of self-propelled nanoparticles.
- Understanding of nano-swarms and the guidance of large population of particles in microfluidic devices.
- Microfabrication and 3D engineering of phantoms and microfluidics.
Requirements for candidates:
- PhD in Biology, Chemistry or Biomedical engineering and related.
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Engineering, Biochem/Mat Science, Physics/Chemistry, etc.) will be a plus since the project is at the edge between different disciplines.
- Knowledge on nanoparticles specifically on self-propelled nanoparticles will be a plus.
- Knowledge on enzyme and catalytic reactions.
- Knowledge in particle tracking, fluid dynamics or microfluidics will be a plus.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High motivation on understanding collective phenomena of artificial active matter, swimmers and nanomotors.
- High level of English
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 01.02.2022
- Working conditions:
- Full time 2-years Very competitive salary.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated. Applicants may be evaluated upon receiving the complete application package.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal information:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 23 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu