Proyecto de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation
Introduction to the vacant position:
The Nanobiolec Group (www.ibecbarcelona.eu/nanobioelec) is looking for an FPI pre-doctoral researcher associated to the project «High-throughput autonomous multiparametric Scanning Force Microscope for applications in life sciences and medicine» (PID2022-142297NB-I00, BIOMEDSPM4.0). The objective of the project is to develop an autonomous high throughput multiparametric functional scanning force microscope to access simultaneously the morphology, electrical and mechanical properties of living cells at the nanoscale. To achieve it automation and artificial intelligence techniques will be incorporated. The potential of the microscope will be demonstrated with the high throughput physical multiparametric nanoscale phenotyping of cancer cells and with the characterization of nano-drug carriers, such as liposomes and polymeric nanoparticles.
This fellowship is associated with the research project Generación de Conocimiento, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
The training and research plan for the successful candidate involves:
- Initial and advanced training in Atomic Force Microscopy, Electrostatic Force Microscopy and Force Spectroscopy for nanoelectrical and nanomechanical characterization of biological samples, such as living cells and/or liposomes.
- Sequential and correlative structural, mechanical and electrical AFM characterization of cancerous and non-cancerous human cells.
- Collaboration, with the rest of the research team, in the development of an autonomous multiparametric functional AFM system enhanced by Artificial Intelligence.
- High throughput simultaneous nanomechanical and nanoelectrical studies of human cancer cells and identification of novel physical cancer phenotypes for medical diagnosis.
Requirements for candidates:
- Bachelor (BSc) and Master (MSc) on Physics/Engineering/Biomed and related fields.
- Candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme on December 2023 (under Spanish Law). By this time, they must have obtained a university degree and a master’s degree; or must hold an official university qualification from a country of the European Higher Education Area with a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are at master’s level. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degrees by October 2023 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have a strong commitment to scientific research and an excellent academic record.
- Candidates must have a good working knowledge of English.
- Candidates must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Candidates must not have held a Ph.D. contract exceeding twelve months by the beginning of the fellowship (December 2023 to January 2024).
- Good skills in communication, teamwork, proactivity, characterisation, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision, and focus.
- Experience/knowledge of Atomic Force Microscopy
- Experience/knowledge of Artificial Intelligence and/or automation
- Experience/knowledge of Nanomedicine
- Experience/knowledge of Cell phenotyping for Cancer.
For the conditions, requirements, details of the research project and other relevant data, please check the general call Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation a http://www.ibecbarcelona.eu/phd
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: As of December 1st, 2023 (to be confirmed, based on the resolution of the call Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation).
- For labour conditions, please click in the call at www.ibecbarcelona.eu/phd
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until October 31st an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R). https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu