Proyecto de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation
Introduction to the vacant position:
The Bioinspired Interactive Materials and Protocellular System Group is looking for a PhD student to develop his/her PhD thesis project on the development of Phagocytic Synthetic Cells, a new type of polymer-based synthetic/hybrid vesicle capable of detecting, engulfing and killing pathogenic bacteria-resistant to antibiotics. The contract will be within the framework of Project PredaSynCell (Generación de Conocimiento). PredaSynCell’s objective is to devise and test a new family of synthetic vesicles capable of specific artificial phagocytosis of bacteria.
This fellowship is associated with the research project Generación de Conocimiento, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Synthesis and molecular characterization of macromolecular amphiphiles. This includes polymers via control radical polymerization techniques as well as Janus dendrimers
- Synthesis of antimicrobial polymers
- Study of self-assembly of the aforementioned amphiphiles into vesicles
- Assembly of vesicles by microfluidic techniques
- Characterization of the membrane properties by advanced microscopies (optical and force) as well as other techniques.
- Study of the mechanisms of engulfment and strategies to favor it
- Study antimicrobial activity
Requirements for candidates:
- Degree and Master in any field of Chemistry (macromolecular chemistry, synthetic chemistry)
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Math, Physics/Engineering, etc.) and/or knowledge of polymer science (specifically on controlled polymerization and experience with self-assembly will be a plus) as needed for this highly interdisciplinary project.
- Candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme in December 2023 (under Spanish Law). By this time, they must have obtained a university degree and a master’s degree; or must hold an official university qualification from a country of the European Higher Education Area with a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are at master’s level. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degrees by October 2023 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have a strong commitment to scientific research and an excellent academic record.
- Candidates must have a good working knowledge of English.
- Candidates must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Candidates must not have held a Ph.D. contract exceeding twelve months by the beginning of the fellowship (December 2023 to January 2024).
- Good skills in communication, teamwork, proactivity, characterisation, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision, and focus.
- Polymer synthesis and molecular characterization
- Microbiology (basic level)
For the conditions, requirements, details of the research project and other relevant data, please check the “IBEC Call Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022” by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation at www.ibecbarcelona.eu/phd
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: As of January 1st, 2023 (to be confirmed, based on the resolution of the call Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation).
- For labour conditions, please click on the call at www.ibecbarcelona.eu/phd
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- An induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment to Equal Opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it was published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing an annual budget of 12M€ and 3.800 square meters facilities, 22 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu
Grant funded by: