Introduction to the vacant position:
The Smart Nano-Bio-Devices Group is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on the development of enzyme-nanomotors for translational approaches within biomedicine. The successful candidate will be involved in developing organic/inorganic nanocarriers for drug delivery through biological barriers and tissues. These carriers will be combined with enzymes for providing motion and enhanced tissue penetration. Besides, it is expected that the candidate will help and guide students (bachelor, master, PhD) to successfully complete their research. Furthermore, the candidate will benefit from working on a multidisciplinary and synergistic team composed of chemists, physicists, biologists, etc. The contract will be within the framework of the Prueba de Concepto Project, whose objective is to study the development of fully biocompatible and enzyme-powered nanoparticles and study their interactions with biomaterials and biofluids. This exciting project will be closely related to a cooperation with clinicians, veterinary, radiochemists and private sector.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Synthesis, characterization, and functionalization of inorganic (e.g., mesoporous NPs) /organic enzyme-functionalized (e.g., lipid-based, hydrogels) nanocarrier that are fully biocompatible and biodegradable.
- Use of nanoparticles as active smart drug delivery systems.
- Test and evaluate the therapeutic effect of such nanoparticles in vitro and possibly in vivo.
- Study of the physico-chemical interactions of nanoparticles with biological fluids.
- Guide bachelor, master, and PhD students.
- Interaction and reporting within the group and with private foundations and companies.
- Actively working in the development of new ideas that give rise to future and/or evolution of projects and generation of intellectual property.
Requirements for candidates:
- Degree and Master’s in any field of biochemistry, chemistry, biotechnology, biomedical engineering, biomedicine, or nanotechnology.
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Engineering, Chem/Bio, etc.) and/or knowledge of inorganic and/or organic nanoparticles synthesis, characterization and enzymes-functionalization.
- Experience with complex fluids and the rheology of them is an added value.
- Experience in the interaction of biomaterials with fluid interfaces is of added value.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High level of English
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: May 2023
- Working conditions:
- Temporary full-time contract up to 18 months
- Competitive salary.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and a high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
Reference: PD PdC-SS
If you have any further questions regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment to equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu