In 2020, the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII) initiated a pioneering experience by promoting the creation of the ISCIII Biobanks and Biomodels Platform (P_ISCIII_BB).
Currently, the P_ISCIII_BB, coordinated by IBEC, has an exceptional composition that includes the 64 Units that comprise it. For each scientific-technological HUB the composition includes: 57 Units in the Biobanks HUB, 18 Units in the Animal Model HUB, 19 Units in the Organoids HUB and 15 Units in the 3D Printing HUB.
These units are distributed throughout Spain, representing 16 Autonomous Communities, including Andalusia, Aragon, Principality of Asturias, Balearic Islands, Cantabria, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y Leon, Catalonia, Community of Valencia, Galicia, Community of Madrid, Region of Murcia, Community of Navarra, Basque Country, Extremadura, and the Canary Islands. In this way, the P_ISCIII_BB offers the highest level of quality and cutting-edge services to facilitate and advance in the definition of the best therapy for the patient and thus close the cycle from basic research to the realization of the clinical application.
It should also be noted that since 2021 the Kingdom of Spain is an associate member of the Biobanks and BioMolecular Resources Research Infrastructure-European Consortium for Research Infrastructures (BBMRI-ERIC), designating the P_ISCIII_BB as a National Node. The entry of Spain and the ISCIII in the BBMRI-ERIC is another step toward the consolidation of collaborative research with European and international support. In this way, the ISCIII also promotes and crystallizes its model of cooperative research platforms and the ISCIII_BB Platform.
IBEC services within the context of the Platform Biobanks and Biomodels are:
- Generation of 3D culture systems (including organoids, spheroids and tumoroids) from human pluripotent stem cells and patient samples for applications in disease modelling. Our 3D culture systems include: kidney organoids, retinal organoids, liver organoids, liver organoids and bladder organoids.
- Genome editing in primary cells and 3D culture systems (including organoids, tumoroids and spheroids) for applications in disease modelling and drug discovery. Our genome editing tools include CRISPR/Cas9 and TALEN.
- Synthesis and characterization of (bio)materials for applications in tissue engineering and 3D bioprinting.
- Generation of tissue and organ constructs through biofabrication (including 3D bioprinting and the use of biological matrices).
- Design and microfabrication of organ-on-a-chip devices to steer the derivation of 3D cultures (including organoids, tumoroids and spheroids) for applications in disease modelling and drug screening.