Application Deadline: 31/01/2021
The Bioengineering in reproductive health group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) offers a Postdoctoral position for an optics physicist or engineer with experience in advance microcopy and image analysis. The project involves using label-free imaging for the study of human embryos.
This project aims to address the diagnostic limitations in IVF clinics and develop an objective, quantitative imaging technology capable to discriminate competent embryos. The method will be based on label-free microscopy. The biological data will be extracted from microscopy measurements of the embryos, via different image processing and statistical correlation procedures. Biological samples are naturally auto-fluorescent due to the presence of different molecules which are crucial for the embryonic development. The goal of this project is to use the endogenous signals from the embryo in a non-invasive way to extract meaningful biological information. The results of this project will be the basis for the creation of a biotech spin-off.
Our laboratory is a multidisciplinary environment where biologists, physicists, clinicians and business developers synergize to create a unique environment shaped by science and entrepreneurship. Due to the high translational component of our research, we have established collaboration contracts with the pharma industry, hospitals and venture capital to bring our technology to the clinics and the market
Requirements for candidates:
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic and motivated candidate with a solid background in physics, engineering or related discipline, interested to work in a multi-disciplinary environment and translational research direction.
Requirements for you:
- PhD degree in Physics or Engineering.
- Programming skills (Python, Matlab). The candidate must be able to analyze raw data from microscopy images, write code to analyze it.
- Basic statistics knowledge
- The candidate must have experience using confocal or light sheet microscopes
- Willingness to learn new skills in a multidisciplinary environment, critical and analytical thinking
- Communication, Teamwork and Collaboration skills
- Fluent use of English language
You will develop research skills involving:
- Hyper-spectral imaging of biological samples on state-of-the art commercial microscopes – mouse and human embryos and cells
- Design experiments to obtain statistically significant results
- Participate in the design, build and program of a novel microscope prototype
- Involvement with our industry and clinical partners and working on real-world applications
Working conditions. We are looking for a candidate that wants to grow with us, the project, and the future spin off, therefore we offer:
- Full time 1-year initial contract with competitive salary.
- Opportunity to either extend the contract at the end of the 1-year period or join a Spin off company derived from the project.
- Opportunities and assistance to apply for scholarships
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- A variety of activities to help your personal and professional development: trainings in technical and transferable skills, mobility grants, mentoring program, participation in outreach activities
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction program to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
For Postdoctoral and JR GL positions:
IBEC aims for a representative gender balance at all levels of staff, so we strongly encourage women to apply. At least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 22 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu