Introduction to the vacant position:
The Bioinspired Interactive Materials and Protocellular Systems Group is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to conduct basic research toward programming accelerated engulfment of objects (nano-, microparticles, bacterial cells) towards the development of Phagocytic Synthetic Cells. The contract will be within the framework of Project PredaSynCell (Generación de Conocimiento). PredaSynCell’s objective is to uncover mechanisms to accelerate the engulfment process. For that the scientist will establish assembly methods using microfluidics, aided by simulations and advanced characterization methods will explore different routes to minimize the kinetics barriers to engulfment guiding the new synthesis of amphiphiles and demonstration of the concepts.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Establish microfluidic assembly of dendrimers omes and cumbersome vesicles
- Characterization of the membrane properties by advanced microscopies (optical and force) as well as other techniques.
- Develop methods for image analysis of a large number of vesicles
- Simulation of properties of vesicles
- Study of the mechanisms of engulfment and strategies to favour it
- Demonstrate engulfment of different nano- and micro-objects that are static or mobile
Requirements for candidates:
- Ph.D. and Master in any field of Physics, Physical Chemistry or Chemistry
- Experience in synthetic cells and evaluation of biophysical properties of the membrane
- Experience in microfluidics
- Experience in microscopy characterization
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Math, Physics/Engineering, etc.) and/or knowledge of polymer science (specifically on controlled polymerization and experience with self-assembly will be a plus) as needed for this highly interdisciplinary project.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High level of English (C1 or higher)
- Experience in programming
- Experience in simulations (MD / MC)
- Macromolecular chemistry
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 01/11/2023
- Temporary (2 years) Full-time contract.
- Competitive salary.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (parental leave, flexible schedule working hours, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service. IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it was published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and manages 3.800 square meters of facilities, with an annual budget of 17 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 20 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 400 people from 35 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu