Introduction to the vacant position:
The Biomedical Signal Processing and Interpretation Group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Predoctoral Researcher (FPI contract) on Multimodal mHealth Biomedical Signal Processing. The contract will be within the framework of the project “Smart Health Ecosystem for managing Breathing Illnesses and Optimizing Sleep in patients with COPD, COVID and Sleep Disorders” (SHE4BIOS), ref. PID2021-126455OB-I00, financed by MCINN/AEI/FEDER.
Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Setting up of multimodal acquisition system based on smartphones, multisignal patches and wireless devices.
- Design and development of algorithms for multimodal biomedical signals based on Personalized Models, Deep Learning and Explainable AI.
- Applications to respiratory diseases and sleep disorders
- Proof-of-concept of smart health systems
Requirements for candidates:
- Bachelor and Master on Biomedical Engineering.
- Knowledge on biomedical signal processing and data analysis.
- Master thesis in biomedical signal processing and interpretation.
- Expertise in respiratory and sleep signal analysis and modelling will be a plus.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High level of English
- It is mandatory to apply to official FPI call (deadline 26/01/2023 at 2pm). More details in: https://www.aei.gob.es/convocatorias/buscador-convocatorias/ayudas-contratos-predoctorales-formacion-doctoresas-2022
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: September 1st 2023
- PhD thesis will be developed in the BIOSPIN-IBEC group, in the framework of the Doctoral Program of Biomedical Engineering at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)
- Research stay of 3 months in an International research Center of our scientific partners to achieve the “International Mention” of PhD.
- Working conditions:
- Full time contract (4 years).
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until January 20th 2023, the candidates must submit his/her CV and expression of interest to Raimon Jané (PI of the project): firstname.lastname@example.org
Then, the Human Resources and Project Office departments of IBEC will offer support to manage the official submission to these candidates.
Next, the candidates must submit their proposal to the official link of the FPI call, before January 26th 2023 at 2 pm: Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores 2022 | Agencia Estatal de Investigación (aei.gob.es)
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 22 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu
The BIOSPIN group of the IBEC is located within the Diagonal-Besòs Campus of the UPC in the building C, near to the Barcelona East Engineering School. https://eebe.upc.edu/en?set_language=en