Introduction to the vacant position:
The Molecular Bionics Group is looking for a highly motivated and talented Ph.D. candidate to join our Molecular Engineering team and work on synthesizing and formulating biodegradable copolymers for targeted drug delivery across the blood-brain barrier. The successful candidate will have experience in polymer chemistry and the opportunity to create libraries of micelles with varying ratios of PEG and PLA and introduce different ligands using click chemistry. You will also work closely with our Computation and Theory team to optimize the size and ligand numbers to maximize targeting and selectivity. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a dynamic team and contribute to the development of innovative nanomedicines.
We are a multidisciplinary group whose general objective is to design and characterise bionic units that mimic speciﬁc biological functions and introduce operations that do not exist in Nature. We apply a constructionist approach where we mimic biological complexity in the form of design principles to produce functional units from simple building blocks and their interactions. We called this Molecular Bionics. Such an effort is multidisciplinary and involves inputs from Chemistry, Physics, and Cell and Molecular Biology.
Please, visit our external website for more information: https://www.molecularbionics.org.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the successful candidate will be:
- Cell culture of rodent and human cell lines, and “in vitro” blood-brain barrier modelling.
- Advanced imaging techniques to track macromolecular transport.
- Molecular biology and cell characterization techniques (RT-PCR, western blot, Immunofluorescence, and flow cytometry among others).
- Correlation between live-cell kinetics, cellular trafficking, and physical models.
Requirements for candidates:
- Grade & MS in Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedicine, Bio-Physics, or Bioengineering, any field directly related to the tasks described above.
- Good skills on communication, teamwork, proactivity, commitment, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision and focus.
- High level of English (oral and written).
- Previous Experience on protein expression and purification.
- Previous experience in structural characterisation using electron microscopy.
- Previous experience in cell culture.
- Previous experience on data analysis and science.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: June 16th
- Working conditions:
- Full time 4-year contract.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until May 19th an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). IBEC is located within theBarcelona Science Park and is managing an annual budget of 12M€ and 3.800 square meters facilities, 22 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu