Proyecto de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation
Introduction to the vacant position:
Dementia, including Alzheimer’s, Lewy body Parkinson’s, and others, is a growing health concern worldwide. These conditions are often associated with the formation and aggregation of neurotoxic misfolded oligomers such as amyloid-β, tau proteins, and α-synucleins. Understanding these harmful oligomers is essential to uncovering the molecular basis of these diseases. To investigate the protein aggregation dynamics and liquid-liquid phase separations, this project will use advanced TEM imaging in Liquid Phase. The research focuses on proteins associated with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, using a combination of simulations and liquid TEM imaging. Additionally, the project explores the impact of drugs and aggregation inhibitors on protein structures in liquid environments.
This interdisciplinary approach combines imaging science, physics, molecular engineering, and computational science and holds great promise for helping to create innovative treatments for neurodegenerative diseases causing dementia.We welcome individuals willing to combine experimental imaging with computational efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Molecular Bionics group, a dynamic multidisciplinary team comprising chemists, physicists, mathematicians, engineers, and biologists. To learn more about our work, please visit our external website at https://www.molecularbionics.org.
This fellowship is associated to the research project Generación de Conocimiento, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the successful candidate will be:
- Protein structure characterisation by standard methods
- Protein imaging by solid state and Liquid Phase TEM.
- Design and implementation of novel imaging protocols for proteins in Liquid Phase TEM
- Image analysis
- Molecular modelling simulations
- Coding experiences, particularly in handling deep learning and other machine learning techniques.
- Handling of soft materials and polymers.
- To contribute to the drafting and submitting of papers to peer reviewed journals.
Requirements for candidates:
- Grade & MS in Physics, Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Bio-Physics, or Bioengineering, any field directly related to the tasks described above.
- Candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme on December 2023 (under Spanish Law). By this time, they must have obtained a university degree and a master’s degree; or must hold an official university qualification from a country of the European Higher Education Area with a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are at master’s level. Candidates who expect to be awarded with such degrees by October 2023 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have a strong commitment to scientific research and an excellent academic record.
- Candidates must have good working knowledge of English.
- Candidates must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Candidates must not have held a PhD contract exceeding twelve months by the beginning of the fellowship (December 2023 to January 2024).
- Good skills in communication, teamwork, proactivity, commitment, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision and focus.
- Willingness to work in a highly multidisciplinary environment.
- Prior computational skills for image analysis
- Previous experience handling soft nanomaterials and proteins
- Previous experience in Python coding
- Previous experience in data analysis and science.
For the conditions, requirements, details of the research project and other relevant data, please check the “IBEC Call Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022” by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation at www.ibecbarcelona.eu/phd
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: As of December 1st, 2023 (to be confirmed, based on the resolution of the call Proyectos de Generación de Conocimiento 2022 by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation).
- For labour conditions, please click in the call at www.ibecbarcelona.eu/phd
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
- Selected candidate will receive training in imaging analysis and Python coding.
How to apply:
Until October 15th an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the Selection Process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R). https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). IBEC is located within theBarcelona Science Park and is managing an annual budget of 12M€ and 3.800 square meters facilities, 22 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu