1.Introduction to the vacant position:
Within the framework of DATOS-CAT project (“Implementation and database analysis in precision medicine”), an initiative under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud”, coordinated by the Institute for Bioengineering for Catalonia (IBEC), we are seeking a Clinical Data Curator with a background in data curation of large-scale clinical and genomic data to join the European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA) team at the Centre de Regulació Genòmica (CRG).
The EGA is a resource for permanent secure archiving and sharing of all types of potentially identifiable bio-molecular, phenotypic, and clinical data resulting from biomedical research projects. We host more than 16 petabytes of data, that includes more than 3700 studies and 8600 datasets.
The candidate will contribute to the work to be developed in the frame of DATOS-CAT project, especially in the management of genomic, phenotypic, and clinical data. In addition, he/she will contribute to improve features of the EGA archive, with the aim to provide always a better service to the EGA user community in the vision of IMPaCT program. The new team member will develop activities around organization and coordination of data management, preparation and analysis, while considering FAIR principles, and eventual submission to the EGA.
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2.The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the direction of Dr. Arcadi Navarro, the applicant will carry out the following research activities:
- Development of activities around the organisation and coordination of management, preparation and management of data, considering FAIR principles and eventual submission to the EGA.
- Contribute to the work to be developed in the framework of DATOS-CAT project, especially in the management of genomic, phenotypic and clinical data.
- Contribute to generate and maintain databases to achieve the objectives of the project.
- Contribute to harmonise clinical and genomic data in a FAIR manner in the context of DATOS-CAT.
- Preparation and organization of data management plans
The candidate will be located at the EGA team at CRG.
3.Requirements for candidates
- Master in Biology, Biochemistry, or equivalent degree with combined education and/or experience in Bioinformatics.
- Experience with high throughput data and clinical data curation activities including, but not limited to:
- Curation of clinical trial data according to internal & public standards
- Cataloguing, structuring, and curation of clinical data/metadata
- Alignment to Ontologies/vocabularies (data harmonization)
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking. Independent problem solver who collaborates effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken), since this is the language used for all communication in our international team.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology, medical biology, or genomics.
- One or more years of bioinformatics experience including programming in Perl/Python/R/Java
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux or similar environments, with ability to navigate in these environments, running and developing software.
- Perform statistical analyses using R, Python, and/or other open-source or commercial statistical applications, as required.
- Support defining of new data standards, data models, terminologies, and ontologies.
- Operate and develop components for workflow management systems such as Common Workflow Language (CWL), Workflow Description Language (WDL), Snakemake, and Nextflow.
- You speak Spanish and/or Catalan.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 16th of July 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full-time 20-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, 23 working days of paid holidays, and nine leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and a high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equal access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC, or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of technical and transferable skills training, including mobility grants and a Mentoring program for researchers.
- An induction program to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support are provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent, and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment to equal opportunities:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion to support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual orientation, or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ confidential data are processed per the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the selection process.
Who are we?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities, and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in research, training, human resources, outreach, and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality, interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to a better quality of life, improves health, and creates wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals, and corporations are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB), and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and manages 3.800 square meters of facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu