Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving:
• To conduct Atom, transfer radical polymerisation (ATRP), ring opening polymerisation (ROP), ring opening co-polymerisation (ROCOP) protocols using a variety of initiators
• To conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses of generated polymers
• Preparing polymers functionalized with ligands and their characterization with chromatographic techniques
• Maintain accurate and up to date written and digital records of all experimental work.
• Providing general support in the preparation of research manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals and authoring/co-authoring research reports and publications as appropriate
• Preparing and delivering presentations at internal meetings and external conferences
• Contributing to data collection as required
• To contribute to the preparation and drafting of research bids and proposals.
Requirements for candidates:
• PhD in Organic Chemistry or related field
• Research experience in polymers synthesis and functionalization
• Substantial experience in organic chemistry, in ring-opening polymerization,
• Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork, Proactivity, Commitment, Collegiality, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
• Knowledge of current theories and research methodologies of relevance to polymer chemistry, polymer functionalization with ligands.
• General competences for all Research positions: Integrity, critical and analytical thinking
• Specific competences for the role: autonomy, adaptability to change, time management, mentoring, knowledge innovation.
• High level of English
• Knowledge of and proven experience of soft nanoparticles and polymersomes in particular
• Commitment to continuous professional development
• Experience of multi-disciplinary working
• Number of available positions: 1
• Starting date: June – July 2019
• Working conditions:
o Full 1-year temporary contract. Salary will be commensurate with academic level and experience.
o Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
• IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills. Mobility grants for first stage researchers, as well as a Mentoring programme for Postdoctoral researchers are offered.
• Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
• Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 31/05/2019 (Reference: PD-GB).
Principles of the Selection Process:
Our Recruitment and Selection Policy is based on the OTM Strategy (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment) www.ibecbarcelona.eu/jobs/ and accept applications without distinction on any grounds. Candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Our commitment to OTM-R principles can also be found in our Gender and Diversity plan.
IBEC aims for a representative gender balance at all levels of staff, so we strongly encourage women to apply. At least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview will be women.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection. Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu