Introduction to the vacant position:
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), a cutting-edge research centre based in Barcelona, is looking for a Project Manager in Research.
We have an exciting full-time, development opportunity for a new Project Manager to join our Projects Office in Barcelona.
His/her role will be to oversee and manage the research projects of several research lines, liaising with other sites and institutions across Spain and Europe.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
The extent of your duties will include but are not limited to:
- Funding: Identify new project opportunities (covering both national and international competitive calls, from public and private funding institutions) for the research lines assigned.
- Project formulation: Pre-evaluation of proposals to maximise success possibilities. Support in the definition of project goals, advising on project partners, preparation of budget, support on proposal writing and submission.
- Project management: Liaising between project and funders; coordination between sites within international projects; coordinating and overseeing project reporting; general project coordination, keeping track of project agendas, meetings and deadlines.
- Financial management of the research lines: Maximizing the outcome of the research lines within the available budget.
- Liaising between research group leaders and other IBEC research management areas (HR, Finance, Tech Transfer and Business Development, Strategic Initiatives and Communication) for the daily running of the research lines.
- Promotion of the interaction of research groups within IBEC to increase interdisciplinarity.
- Organisation of informative and training sessions for researchers.
Requirements for candidates:
- PhD in Biotechnology or similar.
- Minimum 5 years experience in research project management, in particular regarding Framework Programme projects (H2020/Horizon Europe) and other EU, national & international (including NIH grants and USA’s Department of Defense grants) funding schemes.
- Full command of Spanish and English. Catalan is a plus.
- Competencies: Communication, teamwork, proactivity, problem-solving, decision-making, planning and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of public and private research funding systems (European and Spanish).
- Knowledge of public research Catalan system.
- Knowledge of funding schemes from the United States.
- Previous experience working with international collaborators.
- Previous experience coordinating EC consortium projects and leading work packages will be very valuable.
- Previous experience in the organization of informative sessions relevant to European Calls.
- Knowledge of another European language is a plus.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: January 2024
- Working conditions:
- Full-time, Permanent position (Specific Rate of Replacement for the stabilization of temporary work, requested by the Administration of the Generalitat based on Law 20/2021, of December 28, on urgent measures for the reduction of temporary employment in public employment).
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- Specific training for the position will be offered. IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills. Specialized training will be offered by position.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- An induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and a high-quality international scientific environment.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it was published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and manages 3.800 square meters of facilities, with an annual budget of 17 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 20 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 400 people from 35 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu