Introduction to the vacant position:
The Nanobioengineering Group is looking for a Senior Technician with experience in cell and molecular biology (specialty neuroscience) to develop the project “Universal testing platform of a cerebral blood vessel for medical applications (UniBBB)” within the framework of “Proyectos Prueba de Concepto” funded by MICINN. The main objective is the valorization of a micro-physiological model of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), previously developed in the group. In particular, the candidate will develop various techniques such as cell culture and maintenance, co-culture in the microfluidic device, biochemical techniques, permeability assays in the BBB on-a-chip (BBB-oC) model, and differentiation of neural progenitors in a 3D environment, and characterization. The candidate will be integrated into a translational and multidisciplinary team with extensive experience in training researchers at the postdoctoral, predoctoral and postgraduate level. The research group, located at IBEC, is in close contact with International and National teams, belonging to CIBER-BBN (Carlos III Health Institute).
The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Cell culture and maintenance
- Cell co-culture in the microfluidic device
- Differentiation of neural progenitors in a 3D environment
- Standard biological analysis
- Analyze functional data of neuronal activity from calcium imaging in vitro.
Requirements for candidates:
- Degree and Master on any field on biology, with experience in neuroscience.
- Previous experience in cell culture and basic molecular biology techniques.
- Previous experience in Neurobiology related techniques (e.g., primary neuronal or glial cultures).
- Previous experience in imaging techniques (e.g., confocal microcopy or life imaging)
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- Good level of English
- Experience in microfabrication techniques/protocols and working in cleanroom environments will be considered a plus
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: March 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time 1.5 year contract.
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until March 17th an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at email@example.com
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu