Introduction to the vacant position:
The Institute of Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Laboratory Technician to join our Core Facilities Unit.
Its role will be to oversee and ensure the proper functioning of laboratories and carry out laboratory maintenance activities in accordance with the guidelines and standards established, as well as to support researchers and all Institute to ensure the most efficient service.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Inform and train new researchers on the operation, general use and safety of IBEC laboratories and Facilities, as well as the commonly used equipment available.
- Provide technical support to ensure good laboratory and use practices of common equipment.
- Effective preventive and corrective maintenance of laboratories and of the scientific equipment of shared use available according to the established guidelines.
- Response to space-related incidents to ensure the smooth functioning of laboratories.
- Verify and update existing site maintenance and equipment protocols and participate in the development of new procedures.
- Control and record the reception of research group material and equipment.
- Managing IBEC store material: stock control, purchase, reception, storage, and sale. Detect incidences in store material reception and make relevant claims to providers.
- Service-specific administrative tasks.
Requirements for candidates:
- Higher Level Training Cycle (CFGS) in Analysis and Quality Control Laboratories.
- At least 2 years of experience in maintenance tasks of research laboratories.
- At least 2 years of experience in explaining general laboratory operation and/or equipment operation to researchers.
- Demonstrable experience in the purchase of laboratory consumables: contact with suppliers and purchase tracking.
- Knowledge of safety standards in biology/chemistry laboratories (multidisciplinary).
- Communication skills, proactivity, organization, planning, teamwork, and internal customer orientation.
- Full command of Spanish and Catalan. Intermediate level of English
- Advanced user of Outlook, Microsoft Office (mainly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Planner). Knowledge in SAP Business One will be a plus.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 1/03/2023
- Working conditions:
- Full time
- Permanent position (Specific Rate of Replacement for the stabilization of temporary work, requested by the Administration of the Generalitat based on the 4th additional provision of Royal Decree Law 32/2021, of December 28. Additional replacement rate authorized by the Ministry of Finance and Public Function).
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu