- Introduction to the vacant position:
Within the framework DATOS-CAT project (“Implementation and database analysis in precision medicine”), an initiative under the “Plan Complementario de Biotecnología aplicada a la Salud”, coordinated by the Institute for Bioengineering for Catalonia (IBEC), we are seeking a Research Assistant to join the Bioinformatics Research Group in Epidemiology and the Biomedical Data Science team of ISGlobal with the vision of leveraging omics and imaging data analytics through federated data analysis to improve health care outcomes.
This is a unique opportunity for a motivated data scientist to contribute to the digital transformation of biomedicine and carry out research that has social impact and responds to unmet medical needs. The contract will be within the framework of the “Implementation and database analysis in precision medicine (DATOS-CAT)” project and IMPaCT-Data, whose objective are to work, standardize and make interoperable clinical information with the final aim of allowing to perform biomedical studies in a federated system.
This Plan Complementario is co-financed by the Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and the Generalitat de Catalunya, with funds from the European Union NextGenerationEU (PRTR-C17.I1)
2. The successful candidate will develop research involving:
Under the direction of Professor Juan Ramón González, the applicant will carry out the following research activities:
- Integration of data in standard formats (OMOP/OHDSI) in DataSHIELD.
- Implementation of libraries to integrate EGA data into DataSHIELD for federated analysis of omics and clinical data.
- Creation of libraries that allow the integration of medical images into DataSHIELD to enable interoperability between cohorts.
- Integration in suitable computing environments (containers, virtualisation, etc.) that are scalable and allow secure analysis.
The candidate will work at the Bioinformatics Research Group in Epidemiology and the Biomedical Data Science team at ISGlobal
3. Requirements for candidates
- Have a completed, or close to completion, Master Degree with strong analytics expertise in any of the following areas: Biomedical Sciences, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, or related fields with focus on data analytics. Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers in other related disciplines decide to apply.
- Programming experience in one or more general purpose programming language: Python and/or R.
- Be familiar with OMOP.
- Be willing to work in an interdisciplinary team within a highly collaborative research institute.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
Experience using one of the following deep learning libraries: Tensorflow,PyTorch or similar is desirable.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 1st of June 2023
- Working conditions:
- Full-time 20-month contract. Attractive salary
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours,23 working days of paid holidays, and nine leave days for pesonal matters, among others).
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and a high-quality international scientific environment.
- IBEC ensures equal access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC, or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of technical and transferable skills training, including mobility grants and a Mentoring program for researchers.
- An induction program to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support are provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permits and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further questions regarding your application or the application process, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent, and Merit-based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment to equal opportunities:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion to support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual orientation, or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ confidential data are processed per the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the selection process.
Who are we?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities, and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in research, training, human resources, outreach, and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality, interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to a better quality of life, improves health, and creates wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals, and corporations are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB), and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and manages 3.800 square meters of facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu