Application Deadline: 26/10/2020
The nanoprobes group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) is looking for a Research Assistant Assistant to develop synthetic photochromic compounds for the manipulation of ion channels and receptors. The contract will be within the framework of ongoing projects of the laboratory, whose objectives include both fundamental investigation of neuronal circuits and novel therapeutic developments for sensory restoration, and against excitatory/inhibitory disbalances in the central nervous system such as epilepsy.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Documenting pharmacology and structural activity relationships of target receptors
- Molecular design including computational docking calculations and synthetic routes
- Organic synthesis and chemical characterization
- Photophysical characterization
- In vitro biological characterization in cell lines, primary neurons, and brain slice cultures.
- In vivo biological characterization in transparent aquatic animals and mammals.
Requirements for candidates:
- Degree and Master in Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technologies.
- Proven experience in organic synthesis and chemical characterization (NMR, MS, EPR) with special emphasis in photochromic compounds
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking
- High level user of chemical design software and databases
- High level of English
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: November 1, 2020
- Working conditions:
- 40h per week ull time 1-year Competitive salary according to Master training.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and the contact of two referees to: email@example.com before 26/10/2020 (Reference: RA-PG).
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles. Thus, there are no restrictions of citizenship or gender and candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu