Introduction to the vacant position:
The Smart Nano-Bio-Devices Group is looking for a PhD student to develop his/her PhD thesis project on the development of self-propelled nanomotors for biomedical applications. The contract will be within the framework of the ERC project of i-NanoSwarms which aims at studying the collective behaviour of active nanoparticles, their cooperative motion, guidance through chemotaxis, and their interactions with biological systems.
The successful candidate will develop research involving:
- Synthesis of enzyme-functionalized nanoparticles based on chemical methods.
- Study of antibody functionalization and drug loading/release capabilities of nanoparticles for the development of precision and personalized nanobots.
- Study of the chemical communication among active nanosystems.
- Fabrication of microfluidic devices for 3D culture and nanoparticle interactions.
- 3D cell culture of bladder cancer cells derived from patients.
- Cell internalization studies, immunostaining, 2D and 3D fluorescent imaging.
- Dynamic light scattering, video recording and tracking of self-propelled nanoparticles.
- Methods for guiding nanobots: e.g. light patterns, magnetic fields, chemical gradients, etc.
- Develop codes and algorithms for tracking active nanobots.
- Analysis of the collective phenomena of nanobots.
Requirement for candidates:
- Degree and Master on any field on (bio) Chemistry, Nanosciences, Biology, Biomedical engineering, Nanotechnology, Medicine, Biotechnology, Material Science and related.
- Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Engineering, Biochem/Mat Science, Physics/Chemistry, Biomed/Eng) will be a plus since the project is at the edge between different disciplines from basic science to translational approaches.
- Knowledge on nanoparticles specifically on self-propelled nanoparticles will be a plus.
- Knowledge on drug delivery systems.
- Knowledge on cell culture, 3D cell-growth.
- Excellent skills on microscopy imaging characterization, cell viability and related bioassays.
- Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
- High motivation on understanding collective phenomena of artificial active matter, swimmers and nanomotors. Basic knowledge on physics of active matter and/or simulations will be a plus.
- High level of English.
Additional experience that will be also valuable:
- Experience working in programming for particle tracking.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: 01/05/2023
- Working conditions:
- Temporary full time contract.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu