Introduction to the vacant position:
The Molecular Bionics Group is looking for are PhD Student for a project focused on optimising, characterization, and studying the role of Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related proteins (LRP) including LRP1 and LRP8 and their interaction with the cell glycocalyx on the role in modulating transport across the blood-brain barrier.
We are a multidisciplinary group whose general objective is to design and characterise bionic units that mimic speciﬁc biological functions and introduce operations that do not exist in Nature.
We apply a constructionist approach where we mimic biological complexity in the form of design principles to produce functional units from simple building blocks and their interactions. We called this Molecular Bionics. Such an effort is multidisciplinary and involves inputs from Chemistry, Physics, and Cell and Molecular Biology.
Please, visit our external website for more information: https://www.molecularbionics.org.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Protein expression and structural analysis using liquid-phase TEM.
- Cell culture of rodent and human cell lines, and “in vitro” blood-brain barrier modelling.
- Advanced imaging techniques to track macromolecular transport.
- Molecular biology and cell characterization techniques (RT-PCR, western blot, Immunofluorescence, and flow cytometry among others).
- Correlation between live-cell kinetics, cellular trafficking, and physical models.
Requirements for candidates:
- Grade & MS in Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedicine, Bio-Physics, or Bioengineering, any field directly related to the tasks described above.
- Good skills on communication, teamwork, proactivity, commitment, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision, and focus.
- Advanced level of English (oral and written).
- Previous Experience on protein expression and purification.
- Previous experience in structural characterisation using electron microscopy.
- Previous experience in cell culture.
- Previous experience on data analysis and science.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: March 1st
- Working conditions:
- Full time
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme for predoctral and postdoctoral researchers.
- Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC guarantees that candidates’ personal data are processed in accordance with the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data will be processed solely for the purposes of the selection process.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu