Introduction to the vacant position:
We seek a highly motivated and talented PhD candidate to work across our Computation and Theory and Molecular Engineering teams to design and optimise targeted drug delivery across the blood-brain barrier using computer-aid design. We welcome individuals willing to combine computational work with experimental efforts/ The successful candidate will have experience in materials science and computational chemistry, and we will provide trading in polymer synthesis and characterisation as well as molecular dynamics machine learning protocols and physiologically-based pharmacokinetic models. You will have the opportunity to study the interaction of ligands and their receptors and optimise coarse-grain models to study the kinetics of uptake, membrane deformation, and trafficking. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a dynamic team and contribute to developing innovative nanomedicines for tackling one of the most important clinical challenges of the century, Alzheimer’s disease.
In the Molecular Bionics group, our goal is to push the boundaries of what’s possible by designing and characterising bionic units that mimic specific biological functions and introducing operations that don’t exist. Our cutting-edge constructionist approach allows us to create functional units from simple building blocks and their interactions, mimicking biological complexity through design principles. This multidisciplinary effort requires the expertise of professionals in Chemistry, Physics, and Cell and Molecular Biology, making our team truly unique. To learn more about our work, please visit our external website at https://www.molecularbionics.org.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the successful candidate will be:
- Molecular modelling
- Coding experiences, particularly in handling deep learning and other machine learning techniques.
- Pharmacokinetics models
- Correlation between live-cell kinetics, cellular trafficking, and physical models.
Requirements for candidates:
- Grade & MS in Physics, Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Bio-Physics, or Bioengineering, any field directly related to the tasks described above.
- Good skills on communication, teamwork, proactivity, commitment, integrity, time management, critical and analytical thinking, precision and focus.
- High level of English (oral and written).
- Previous Experience with polymer nanomaterials
- Previous experience in coding
- Previous experience in data analysis and science.
- Number of available positions: 1
- Starting date: June 16th
- Working conditions:
- Full time 4-year contract.
- Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23 working days of paid holidays, 9 leave days for personal matters, among others).
- IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills.
- High-quality international scientific environment.
- Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R) https://ibecbarcelona.eu/careers-at-ibec/jobs/
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
IBEC actively looks for female candidates for Senior positions (Postdoctoral and GL positions) ensuring that at least 40% of shortlisted applicants invited to interview have to be women with comparable level of CVs as the male candidates. At the end of the evaluation process, in case of equal merit, priority will be given to female candidates.
For candidates with children that come from outside Barcelona, we offer babysitting services during the interview, so you don’t have to worry about anything else than doing a good interview. Contact us if you are interested in this service.
IBEC, as a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), will consider, especially for early-stage investigators, much more the scientific content of research outputs, than publication metrics or the identity of the journal in which it were published.
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC). IBEC is located within theBarcelona Science Park and is managing an annual budget of 12M€ and 3.800 square meters facilities, 22 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 300 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu