The main goal of our group is to develop rationally tuned biomaterials with the necessary signals to promote spinal cord tissue regeneration and function recovery.
The injured spinal cord fails to regenerate because:
- 1) Cellular “bridges” that can support axonal regeneration do not form naturally at an SCI lesion site.
- 2) Growth factors are not produced in the injured spinal cord to stimulate regeneration.
- 3) Injured CNS neurons do not fully express a “growth program” to recruit new regeneration.
- 4) The environment of the injured adult spinal cord inhibits regeneration due to the presence of inhibitory extracellular matrix molecules that form around the injury site and due to the presence of inhibitory proteins on adult myelin that block regeneration.
To produce new biomaterials and study cell-biomaterial interactions in a more physiological environment and in a high-throughput manner.
Our goal is to understand the molecular mechanisms of neuronal development and regeneration and to use this knowledge to develop translational approaches for repairing injured central nervous system (CNS) circuits. Our current research efforts are focused on a range of topics from basic discovery of ECM molecules that inhibit axon regeneration to late-stage rodent studies leading to human translation.
Our experimental techniques include cell biology, biomaterials simulation, design, synthesis and 3D printing fabrication, proteomics, in vitro assays, in vivo rodent models of SCI, electrophysiology, and behavior.
Samuel I. Stupp
|Peptide amphiphile Scaffolds as a Therapeutic Target for Spinal Cord Injury Repair (2022-2025)||Northwestern University. Project Number: L31CVNORTHU.||Zaida Álvarez|
|MobiHydroSpine · Hidrogeles móviles para la mejora de la bioactividad de células progenitoras neurales humanas para la reparación de lesiones Medulares (2022-2025)||MICIU. Generación Conocimiento: Proyectos I+D PID2021-124839OA-I00.||Zaida Álvarez|
|3D printed ECM constructs as therapies to repair the injured spinal cord (2022)||Mike Lane-Castellers de la Vila de Gràcia.||Zaida Álvarez|
- IH-0415 IMPACTOR Mouse/Rat
- DigiGait Imaging System – Mouse Only with Incline
- WPI Stereotaxic for mice, Digi and Portable, SGL M
- Electrode Manipulator without 1770 holder
- UltraMicro Pump and SmartTouch Controller
- Solo Controller with 50mm Single Axis
- Manipulator Adapter for Stoelting stereotaxic
- Rod Holder For Motorized Manipulator
- Impresora 3D Anycubic Photon M3 Premium
- Aitziber López Cortajarena
- Juan Alberto Ortega
Universitat de Barcelona
- Evangelos Kiskinis
- Ivan R. Sasselli
- Maria Luisa Garcia Lopez
Universitat de Barcelona
Researchers manage to grow mature neurons at the lab to study neurogenerative diseases
Researches from the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) and the University of Barcelona (UB) have achieved the creation of the first highly mature neurones from human induced pluripotent stem … Read more
Zaida Álvarez receives the Muy Nanotecnología award and a special mention from the Duran Farell Research Technology Award
On November 29th, Zaida Álvarez, a ‘Ramon y Cajal’ researcher at the Institute of Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), received the Muy Nanotecnología award from the Minister of Science and Innovation, … Read more
Laboratory technician at the Biomaterials for neural regeneration (LT_ZA)
Ref: LT_ZA // Deadline: 22/03/2023