Introduction to the vacant position:
The Smart Nano-Bio-Devices Group is looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on the understanding of the physics of artificial active matter developed in the group, the so-called self-propelled nanobots. The contract will be within the framework of the ERC-Consolidator Grant (i-NanoSwarms), whose objective is to study the development of fully biocompatible enzyme-powered swarms of nanoparticles and study their interactions with biomaterials and biofluids. The successful candidate is expected to greatly contribute to this multidisciplinary team by providing insights in the fluid dynamics and collective phenomena of nanobots, particle to particle interactions, with both -if possible- simulations and experiments. Optimization of microfluidics, engineering of setups for the analysis of the collective phenomena will be sought after in this position. With the candidate’s expertise in physics, engineering or fluid dynamics, he/she will be integrated into a running and very active project which spans from chemistry, biochemistry, microfabrication to biology. Thus, his/her contribution will be very complementary to the rest of the team and in close collaboration with external collaborators.
The successful candidate will develop research involving:
• Analysis of the collective behavior of active particles by image processing and simulations.
• Design of optimal experimental conditions for the study of fluid dynamics of active particles involving microfabrication, microfluidics and microscopy setups.
• Study of the particle-particle and particle-surface interactions as well as chemotaxis and other methods for guiding active colloids (magnetic guidance, light activation, etc).
• Interaction with experimental members of the group, teaming up for development of the best conditions for swarming of self-propelled nanoparticles.
• Interaction with current external collaborators in the same field.
Requirements for candidates:
Degree and Master on any field on physics, engineering, chemistry and nanotechnology or related fields.
• Multidisciplinary qualifications (Physics/Engineering, Chem/Materials,etc.).
• Experience in numeric simulations (e.g. COMSOL, etc), and programing (experience in imaging processing e.g. in Python.
• Experience in microfluidics is of added value.
• Experience in active matter, colloids, microparticles, micromotors, etc:will be of added value.
• Competencies and skills: Communication, Teamwork and collaboration, Commitment, Proactivity, Integrity, Critical and Analytical thinking.
• High level of English
• Number of available positions: 1
• Starting date: 01.04.2023
• Working conditions:
• Full time 2-year contract.
• Measures to reconcile work and family life (maternity and paternity leave, flexible schedule working hours, teleworking, 23
• IBEC ensures equality of access to professional development opportunities irrespective of employment status, length at IBEC or other factors. The IBEC’s yearly training catalogue offers a wide range of training in technical and transferable skills including mobility grants and a Mentoring programme.
• Stimulating, interdisciplinary research and high-quality international scientific environment.
• Induction programme to facilitate incorporation at IBEC and additional support is provided for foreigners to obtain Visa-working permit and to install in Barcelona.
How to apply:
Until 14th of March an online application form is available through IBEC dedicated site: https://careers.ibecbarcelona.eu/
Only those applications submitted before the deadline will be evaluated.
Reference: PD FF_SS
If you have any further question regarding your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Principles of the selection process:
IBEC is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the Open, Transparent and Merit based Recruitment principles (OTM-R).
IBEC´s Commitment on equal opportunity:
Our strength and excellence as an international transdisciplinary Research Institute are based on diversity. Being an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion, so that we support employees irrespective of their gender, nationality, religion, disabilities, age, sexual identity or cultural and socioeconomic background.”
Protection of personal data:
IBEC ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection.
Personal data shall thus be processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
Who we are?
The Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia, IBEC is an interdisciplinary research center focused on Bioengineering and Nanomedicine based in Barcelona. IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation, which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer.
IBEC’s mission is to develop international high-quality interdisciplinary research that, while creating knowledge, contributes to making a better quality of life, improving health and creating wealth. A close link with key universities, reference hospitals and corporations, are assets that facilitate achieving the mission.
IBEC was established in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Autonomous Government of Catalonia), the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC).
IBEC is located within the Barcelona Science Park and is managing 3.800 square meters facilities, with an annual budget of 13 Mio€; 3.800 square meters of facilities; 21 research groups and a team of researchers and support services of 350 people from 30 different countries. www.ibecbarcelona.eu